Monday, September 9, 2013

What's Your Song?

It had been one of those weeks and by Sunday night I was on edge.

Maybe because I had killed a roach big enough to walk on a leash or because my room was serving as a breeding ground for bugs whose sole purpose was to  me in my sleep. Maybe because the human stampede occurring in the apartment above me caused ceiling popcorn to fall on my head. 

In the midst of crying and cutting up apples in my new kitchen, (two things I don't recommend doing simultaneously) I found my mind was fraught with thoughts of pest control, bug bombs, and breaking the lease. 

While my mind buzzed with possible solutions, I realized everything around me was still and quiet. The silence filling the space around me and the lack of silence in my brain made me uneasy. 

I turned on my radio.


My anxieties were replaced with melodies and toe tapping. The noise created a happy energy, allowing me to dry my tears and focus on my apple smoothie. 


I'm not the only one who finds solace in the sound coming out of the speakers, and continually wonder how other people connect with music. Emotionally? Spiritually? Do they feel the same way about a certain song as I do? My aim in this blog is to answer these questions - and more.


Frank Zappa said, "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." 

Music means more to me than dates. When I remember an important life event, there's usually a life soundtrack that was or is just as important as the event itself. 


My music is a mood regulator, a calendar, and a means by which I connect with other people. What does music mean to you? Let's find out. 

2 comments:

  1. The effect music has on me is sort of unexplainable.

    Some of my least favorite questions people ask me is "what's your favorite band?" or "what kind of music do you listen to?"

    My answer, to their frustration, is that it always depends. It depends on what I need at that time of my life. It depends on what mood I'm in, if I want to cheer myself up or if I need a good cry. It's also situational and depends if I'm cooking or cleaning, if I'm doing homework, or dancing, etc.

    As a DJ I loved setting these moods for other people. Creating an experience within a room. Playing cards and everyone is in X mood, what tune will get the room talking, or feeling more chipper? Or open people up to each other?

    Music to me is an experience. It's an experience I can create for myself and an experience I enjoy creating for others. It's always been there. And I can count on the fact that it always will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response! I think I'm going to do my next post on music that evokes emotional responses from different people.

      Delete