Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Kitchen Time

My poor roommate. His schedule is pretty regular, but the hours I keep change from day to day.

It's a good thing he's a hard sleeper because at 3 AM, I was in the kitchen, music blaring, cooking up one of my favorite new snacks: goat cheese and asparagus quesadillas.

To make these, you'll only need a few ingredients:

  • 4 ounces herbed goat cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 10-inch flour tortillas
  • olive oil 
  • salt and pepper
  • a favorite album


Directions:

1. Turn on your favorite album. This dish requires constant attention, so you'll want to pick something you want to listen to the whole way through. I chose Father John Misty's Fear Fun.

2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet on medium-low heat and cook the asparagus, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Once the asparagus is tender, remove it from the pan.

3. Split the goat cheese in half and spread a portion onto each tortilla. Add 1/8 cup of chopped cilantro to each tortilla. Then add your cooked asparagus. Fold the tortillas over to create a quesadilla.

4. Brush both sides of each quesadilla with olive oil before putting them in the pan to cook at a medium-low heat until lightly browned. This should only take a couple of minutes.

5. Let these cool and then devour them!

My first attempt last night - I left it on a little long

I'll admit this is the extent of my culinary prowess. I'm much better at using my credit card than my hands to make food appear, but it was fun.

I highly recommend trying these or a variation of them. They only took about 20 minutes to make including prep time. Next time I make these, I'll make enough for my roommate, too, for putting up with the loud noises and smoky air I created so early in the morning. 

When you venture into the kitchen, what do you make? Do you listen to music while you cook?


No comments:

Post a Comment