Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Finer Points of Making a Mix

If you dared to take a scroll through my iTunes, the names and contents of the playlists adorning the left hand toolbar may confuse you.

To illustrate my point, a few of my favorites are "Bachelorette Party," "trashy white girl rap,"and "METAL AS F***."

I have a playlist for every occasion and emotion. 

The screen grabs below show but a snippet of what my full music library is capable of producing.





A well crafted playlist is just as essential as a jacket on a windy day.

To optimize your listening pleasure, your playlist should take into consideration your mood and what you're doing.

Take, for example, "Summer Day."

This playlist was designed for my day-to-day between May and August.

                                            

I haven't gotten to wear so much as a sweater while walking to school yet, so this playlist is still in regular rotation.

Much like a bride picking out her wedding cake, I sat in front of my computer screen sampling musical morsels until I found the perfect combination of songs to make a playlist worthy of my Big Day.

The purpose of my mix was to get me up, out of the door, and on my way to work each day. It needed to be pleasant, fairly upbeat, and light, while leaving room for a couple of heavy-hitters needed for mid-traffic embarrassment.

Head and Heart by The Wilderness of Manitoba starts the list with its delicate vocals and plucky guitar.

Time to wake up.

Immediately following are two lo-fi, grungy jams that remind me to open my eyes as I shuffle to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

The middle of the mix is a collection of new finds and old favorites.

It is important when making a mood or occasion-based mix to diversify the songs in terms of era, genre, and tempo, so you don't get bored.

This particular mix includes:
- GRMLN, a one man Hawaiian band founded just last year
- Ducktails, a disco inspired chillwave band
- Passion Pit, electronic heavyweights
- even The Doors, pioneers of psychedelic rock

(A playlist isn't complete until it contains at least one song by The Doors. Those are just the rules.)

Rounding out the end of my jam-loop are some catchy songs that, even when not playing through my speakers, are running through my head.

Despite my frustration at singing the same thing to myself all day, it is better than silence.

In my eyes, making my own playlist is rewarding. I know what I want it to achieve and I tailor it to my exact wants.

If you're unlike me, however, there are plenty of alternatives.

Websites like StereoMood offer playlists based on, well, mood. Sometimes, though, the site uses seasons or activities to determine what music you'd like.

I wonder what "Lost in Jamaica" sounds like?

If you want something a little more personal, scan 8tracks.com for user made lists.

I've found great new music on both of these sites.

Hopefully you're already sifting through your library for playlist gold, or logging on to hear something new.

In the words of Donna Meagle on Parks and Rec, "Treat yo'self!"











 







No comments:

Post a Comment